Friday, February 24, 2012

There's Always Something New To Learn

Two seasons ago I harvested leeks from the garden as late as I dared and left a few in the ground to see just how long they would last once we started getting serious frost. I also put a bunch down in the cold room in a pile on bubble wrap and then covered the top of the pile with bubble wrap as well.
I harvested leeks from the garden until November some time and the leeks in the cold room lasted until early January. (more or less. I still had to peel quite a few layers from the leeks before I could use them .)
This past season I didn't bother leaving any in the ground but rather dug them all up and 'planted' them in a pot of dampened potting soil and stored them in the cold room.
They held on much better than they had on the plastic and I was thrilled as we entered February and they still looked great.
Until. . .
One day about a week and a half ago and discovered the leeks just covered in a fuzzy mold!



Ugghh.


Of course the big problem with that, was the fact that mold is one of my big asthma triggers.
I took a deep breath, grabbed the pot and rushed it upstairs and out the door.
As I let my breath out and put the pot on the driveway I took a closer look at the leeks and was astonished to see this. . .


Aphids!
It never fails to amaze me how quickly bugs can multiply.
A week before I had seen nothing and now. . .
An infestation!

Well, they still lasted nearly a month longer than the year before and I have learned something new again.
Even in storage you have to keep a close eye on your produce. 
Nothing lasts forever.

2 comments:

Evelyn in Canada said...

That is so gross! I've never seen aphids in February. Keep those guys outside over the weekend and they should be gone.

Nancy-Mom said...

GROSS !!! I love leeks and we have them regularly, after seeing this though I may never want them again :o(

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

 
© A Life of Whimsey