Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall Harvest and a Hiatus

As a few of you may have realized, I've been on a hiatus for the last month or so.

My cousin Chandra wondered if my sister Tamara and I were hiding out together.
I wish that had been the case, as then I could have been eating around the world with her! http://thegreenhousediaries.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, the real reason is a lot less glamorous.
For the last few months my hormones have decided to dance the hokey pokey pretty much non stop.
This has left me anxious, tired, and out of sorts.

Not exactly the best frame of mind for blogging!

But Fall has arrived and, sadly, is scheduled to leave again tomorrow afternoon, as a huge windstorm bringing cold temperatures and the likelihood of snow, is set to blow in, which had me scrambling to get some harvesting done in the garden today.
Luckily for me Jesse slept in and missed the bus so I was able to put him to work.

He spent quite some time chopping up all my sunflowers so I would be able to compost them.
A few of them even survived the frost!

I harvested potatoes, which was pretty exciting, although they do have a bit of scab which was disappointing.


I had planted two mini pumpkin vines in the front garden and as you can see they went a little crazy.
Frost hit them a few times in the last few nights so it was time to pull them out.

All those leaves and this is my harvest. . .
Hmmmm. . .

Maybe not the best use of a small space!

I'll have to try something else next year.

Happy fall everyone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the snow doesn't fly too soon. It looks like your gardening was a hit, new potatoes are my favorite. Hope you can use them for Thanksgiving dinner. Miss you, Lisa

Tamara Jansen said...

Are you too cool or WHAT?! That sunflower is phenomenal. I feel great pity for you Albertans who have to put up with that kind of cold weather so much more than we do. I heard they had snow in Calgary on the weekend. CRAZY!

I'm so glad to see you back at blogging :) Bloggerville is not the same without you. Miss you too, Tam

Anonymous said...

I missed you Rosa and am happy to hear that you're feeling better!
I planted 3 zucchini plants and instead have around 15 huge, bright orange, ribbed pumpkins. They're beautiful! I think they're a heritage variety. I was disappointed not to have zucchini but considering how little work it took to grow these pumpkins I'm definitely going to plant them again next year. The only problem is figuring out what to buy seeing as they were labeled zucchini - it's never easy is it?

Colleen said...

Cute pumpkins, but for sure a lot of room for so few! We were thinking of coming for a visit this weekend, but are putting it off for maybe later in the year!

Evelyn in Canada said...

Jesse looks a bit like the Grim Reaper with a sunflower. It's a happier image than with a sythe. You're doing pretty well with your cleanup. I still have many bulbs to plant and a swimming pool to dismantle before the snow hits! Ack!

Nancy-Mom said...

Ahh, at last !! I'm actualy reading this in Ontario. We're here visiting the kids and grandkids. LikeFaith said, lots of leaves but not many pumpkins, cute ones though !

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

 
© A Life of Whimsey